According to DTI, as of 2011, micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) made up 99.6 percent of businesses operating in the Philippines, contributed 61% of the total jobs generated and accounted for 35.7% of the country’s total production. Small things make a difference, that’s why it’s important to equip and empower current and aspiring entrepreneurs.
That’s the goal of 1st Philippine SME Business Expo 2013: “Your SME Business Gateway”!
I was able to witness the ribbon cutting and opening ceremony, graced by VIPs, sponsors and guest business experts. Opening remarks were given by Mediacom Co-Founder and CEO David Abrenilla and Esquire Financing CEO Rajan Uttamchandani. A special number was rendered by former X-Factor Philippines finalist, Joan Da.
SMX Convention Center in SM Aura Premier is smaller than the one in Mall of Asia Complex, but present during the event were more than a hundred exhibitors present in the venue from various industries, showcasing their products and services. Many of them were endorsing special great deals for grabs during the expo only. Day 1 was slated on a Friday but students from different schools, which made the majority of visitors at the time, flocked the venue.
Sharing some of my observations from walking around the expo, which I hope can help you or a friend that’s aspiring in doing their own business:
- Invest in technology that can help manage your business — computing devices, websites, customized systems, etc.
- With the increasing number of robbery incidents, safeguarding your livelihood is a must.
- Despite access to information online, people still rely on the trusted Yellow Pages, just like word-of-mouth recommendations. Get published on both for maximum exposure.
- Starting a business doesn’t need a big capital, a grand concept or eat all of your time. Innovation and creativity should be in play to answer consumer demands.
- There’s always a market for food, medicine and natural products.
Future entrepreneurs and people currently managing their own SMEs are sure to have learned a lot during the three-day expo. If you missed out this year’s expo, don’t fret! Based on their print publication, the Philippine SME Business Expo 2014 is scheduled on October 2014! Check out their website, Facebook or Twitter account for updates.
Congratulations to Mediacom and Esquire for a successful event! Thank you to Ms. Anne Camille Joaquin for the invite 🙂