I’m a fan of American medical drama Grey’s Anatomy. Most of the time I do not understand the jargon thrown here and there but their actions make me understand what they’re about to do. I supposed it’s not a direct reflection of what happens in a hospital but to see the characters recognized for their skills and research.. do our medial practitioners also get the same exposure to advanced technologies and mentorship?
Through our friends at AMPR, my question was answered. I was able to be part of the launch of a state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary training center by premier health institution, The Medical City (TMC). The Center for Advanced Skills, Simulation and Training Innovation, otherwise known as CASSTI, provides a controlled and safe environment for skills acquisition. It is headed by Dr. Deogracias Alberto G. Reyes, TMC surgeon and associate professor at the Ateneo School of Medical. According to him,
“CASSTI was brought about by the need to effect a change in medical and surgical training. The traditional Halsteadian mindset of ‘see one, do one, teach one’ is not ideal as it does not give the trainee the opportunity to achieve mastery before patient contact.”
TMC President and CEO Dr. Alfredo R.A. Bengzon adds that “this offers physicians and trainees the ability to assess and achieve proficiency through simulation and an ideal learning environment that is pace appropriate and structured with expert supervision.”
The main feature of CASSTI is simulation training, where technical errors do not have clinical consequences and do not involve morbidity or mortality. The ability to repeat and train in the skills laboratory makes training pace appropriate, responsive to the individual’s learning aptitudes and schedule limitations.
Ribbon cutting, blessing and tour of the CASSTI facility was followed by a short program at the Augusto M. Barcelon Auditorium.
Dr. Salud (Head, Department of Surgery) gave the welcome remarks, Dr. Sarmiento (Chairman of the Board, PSI-The Medical City) gave his prefatory remarks, followed by a messaged from the President & CEO Dr. Bengzon, a message from the CASSTI Consultant Director Dr. Reyes, a message from the Guest of Honor Prof. Sir Alfred Cuschieri and closing remarks by Dr. Ramos.
CASSTI’s facilities include endoscopic stations, virtual reality, roo, simulation room, teleconference ability for live surgery transmission to CASSTI and remote locations, animal laboratory, lecture rooms, video editing stations, and a research room.
Healthcare professionals who desire to strengthen and refine their clinical and surgical skills are welcome to enroll in CASSTI courses. List of short 1 to 5-days clinical courses:
- General Surgery – Minimal Access Surgery: Fundamental Knowledge and Skills, Mastery of Laparoscopic Suturing Course, Essentials of Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Course, Laparoscopic Appendectomy Course, Laparoscopic IOC and Choledochoscopy Course, Simbionix – LapMentor VR Simulator Course
- Colorectal Surgery – Stapling Workshop in Colorectal Surgery, Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery, Total Mesorectal Excision (TME) for Rectal Cancer, Hemorrhoidal Master Class
- Head and Neck Surgery – Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) Course, Phonosurgery (Laryngology) Course, Basic Facial Plastic Course, Pediatric Airway Endoscopy Course (Pediatric Otolaryngology), Ultrasound Guided Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAB) of the Head and Neck, Temporal Bone Dissection Course
- Breast Surgery – Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy Workshop
- Orthopedics – Basic Knee Arthroscopy, Therapeutic Arthroscopy of the Knee, Surgical Approaches to the Hip
- Urology – Intensive Laparoscopic Nephrectomy Course
- Gynecology – Hysteroscopy Course
- Airway Management – Critical Airway Management: In a Training Institution
- Critical Care – Basic Assessment and Support in Intensive Care (BASIC), Basic Clinical Skills
The facility also offers short technical courses in Instrument Reprocessing and Maintenance (1 day) and Operative Nursing in Minimal Access Surgery (1.5 days). Plans to offer a Certificate / Diploma course and Masters Degree in Minimal Access Surgery are underway as of this writing.
I believe trainings like these are worth the investment, especially in the field of health care where one’s life is on the line.
CASSTI is located at the lower ground of The Medical City in Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City. For inquiries, you may call 998-1000 or 988-700 ext. 6801 or email at email@example.com or visit www.themedicalcity.com. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
About The Medical City The Medical City is a tertiary care hospital with over 40 years of experience in hospital operation and administration. Its world-class health care complex serves some 40,000 in-patients and 400,000 out-patients annually. TMC has a medical staff of over 1,000 physicians who are established experts in their various fields of specialization. This core of professionals is complemented by a 2,00-strong human resource complement, engaged in allied medical, administrative and support services. TMC is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), the world’s most prestigious accrediting body for international healthy care organizations.